The Master Undone - Lisa Renee Jones The four novellas: Rebeccas's Journals have actually been my favorite part of the Inside Out trilogy/series. So I was really looking forward to this novella, The Master Undone. I think there may have been squeeing and bouncing going on, when I got it. Okay, there totally was. I was excited.

*If you haven't read Being Me, Do Not Continue reading! Spoilers*

TMU was much shorter than the previous four novellas and in this case, it was probably a good thing. Mark is revealed for certain to be "Master" towards the end of Being Me. In all the novellas he's portrayed as being very mysterious, somewhat cold an extremely dominant. The thing, for me, that made the journals so interesting was the complexity of Rebecca and Masters relationship. Her feelings and thoughts are the only ones we get to be a party to and one constant was her confusion about how he truly felt about her. There had to be more there than just the M/s relationship, right? Did he actually love her and just didn't know how to express that? Was he thinking of committing to more with her?

The answers I was so looking forward to getting from TMU left me extremely unsatisfied. In fact, they were vague, at best. For the most part, TMU seems almost unrelated to the series as whole. It certainly doesn't leave you feeling like you know any more about Rebecca and Marks relationship than you did when you finished Being Me.

TMU starts out with Mark flying to NY to see his mother, who is sick with breast cancer, through surgery. He's met by an employee, and close friend of his mother, who's name I can't remember. Her impact on me was that minimal. The entire novella is basically a switch off between Marks concern for his mother and his confusion over his attraction to this woman, who's not at all his type. We're hit over the head with how much this woman is not his type but he still wants her. Mark is a wimpy, sad shadow of the Master we've gotten to know throughout the series. The one I actually cared about.

Bottom line: All that insight into Rebecca and Marks relationship that I was anxiously anticipating? Basically, non-existent. In truth, he rarely thinks on Rebecca except the occasional guilt over her death and his self recriminations. They are very few and are left in the dust in favor of his mooning over new chick. Who's not even his type. Who he wants anyway. Blah, blah. The culmination of all this non important and uniteresting material is one generic, lackluster sex scene that was boring to read and surprisingly contained no bdsm whatsoever, even though he's a Master who, as we're told in other books, doesn't do vanilla. Vanilla was a flavor explosion compared to this sex scene.

The entire novella felt like a prologue to a spin-off series, a series I doubt I'll be reading if the characters continue the way they did in TMU.

Oh well, off to read Revealing Us. Fingers crossed this thing ends as spectacularly as it began.